about Blackville in Wikipedia,
When the railroad was built between Charleston and Hamburg, John Black chose this area as an overnight stop for the train. Several hotels sprang up, as did a bustling railroad town. Blackville was established in 1833 and chartered in 1837.
Blackville became a marketing and transportation center and thrived until the Civil War. By February of 1865, sixty thousand Union troops had passed through the town. General Sherman met with his generals here, burned much of the town, looted, demolished the railroad, and continued on his march.
After the Civil War most of the former slaves remained in the area and began a system of farming known as "sharecropping." The agricultural industry continued to thrive and Blackville was at one time called the "cucumber capital of the world."
Blackville survived General Sherman as well as
burnings in 1887 and 1888. Homes and
buildings from that era still stand.
The Heritage Trail is a self-guided tour of historic homes and sites in Blackville
A brochure with map can be picked up in front of the Old Depot-Library at 1420 Solomon Blatt Ave.
or take a virtual tour on the web by CLICKING HERE.
Guided tours of Blackville and the surrounding area can be arranged by contacting: Joan McDonald
Email email@example.com, phone 803-284-3267.
History Buried in Blackville, SC
This is a 32 page booklet available from shops in Blackville or by mail from:
Blackville Area Historical Society, PO Box 277, Blackville, SC 29817
Please include a check for $5.00 + $2.00 for shipping and handling
Plantation, Home of Cornelius Toblin built in
the late 1700s.
To see CLICK HERE.